Monday, November 21, 2011

Yellow Door, Yellow Door, What do you see? (Corrected Post)


*Update: I'm so sorry if you could not see the "after" pics when I posted this last week (silly Blogger). It should be all fixed now if you don't mind taking another look!


I've been contemplating painting our front door for a couple of years now. Before we replaced our exterior doors a few years ago, I had painted our front door black to match our shutters. We had white, steel doors installed, and I have been reluctant to paint the front door since (very unlike me!). Well, I finally got over it! The white wasn't bad, but it just didn't have the pop of color I've been wanting for our front door. I didn't want to do boring black again and have it blend in with the rest of the houses in our neighborhood. I had thought about red, but our house is red brick, so that wouldn’t look good either. So, what did I do? I painted the front door yellow!
I decided on Glidden's Goldenrod in semi-gloss. It was the first yellow I was drawn to while standing in front of all the swatches. After removing all the hardware, I primed the door first to make sure the paint would "stick". Then I brushed and rolled on several thin coats of paint. It really killed me that I couldn't spray paint the door! That would have been too much trouble for such an easy project.
Here was my set up last Sunday afternoon. I completed this while E was napping. I left all the hardware off the door for the rest of the day and did not close the door until the following day. I was really worried about it sticking. (And yes, Jessie, my front door was unlocked and wide open or cracked for a solid 24 hours! Ha!)



You will always find two lazy dogs lying around while I'm painting.


Here's the finished, outside view! The storm door has a horrible reflection in the picture, but it still allows the yellow to shine through!


View from the walkway. You definitely notice the new color when driving by! Ours is definitely the only yellow door on our street!



Here's a before shot of the porch with the plain, white door. Now that it’s yellow, the white door looks so plain and sterile.


Inside view of the door. Our front door is always open when I'm home, so the yellow really helps to brighten up the room. I love all the natural light the storm door lets inside, and the dogs love to lay in the morning sun.


Have you painted your front door a fun color?


Photobucket


Linking up to these fabulous parties!
Tatertots & JelloBetween Naps on the PorchMy Uncommon Slice of SuburbiaSerenity NowMommy By Day Crafter By NightThe 36th AvenueThe DIY ShowoffToday’s Creative BlogAt the Picket FenceHome Stories A to ZGingerbreadRemodelaholicThrifty Décor ChickThe CSI ProjectBeneath my HeartCrafty Scrappy Happy, Perfectly Imperfect

11 comments:

Ashley said...

It looks great! I was wondering what was going on with the pictures in the original post...

Your house reminds me very much of Young House Love's. Love brick ranches!

lej619 said...

WOW I love the Yellow door. Thanks for reposting this post! I thought there was something wrong with my computer!(LOL would not surprise me if there was)now every time I go out and about in Nashville I'll have to keep my eye out for this wonderful door. I always wanted a Red door,got one then had to move. We rent now and don't think the landlord would go for a red door. WE have a blah green door.
Thanks for sharing!

OrganizingMadeFun said...

Love your front door color! I'm getting ready to paint my front door yellow also! Plus, we just painted the playhouse doors yellow...so you can see how this post caught my eye {saw you on Tip Junkie}. Here, have a look:

http://organizingmadefun.blogspot.com/2011/11/special-doors-for-playhouse.html

Love it!!

Becky B.
www.organizingmadefun.com
Organizing Made Fun

Rhonda @ home.made. said...

Love your yellow door (and that sweet little pug of yours too!)...

Visiting from Tuesday's Treasures~

Rhonda @ home.made.

annies home said...

your yellow door looks very charming I once read that the color of your front door says a lot about the person that lives there perhaps yours says peaceful come see me at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

Kristi @ Addicted 2 Decorating said...

Wow, the yellow looks fantastic! The white was just a bit ho hum. I mean, anyone can have a white door. But yellow...now that's a statement! You chose the perfect color for your house!

Natasha Mairs - Serenity You said...

looks fantastic!

Would love it if you could share this on my link party Serenity Saturday at www.serenityyou.blogspot.com

Natasha xxx

Kindra-At Home With K said...

Oooh I love your splash of color you added! It looks great! Painting my door is on my to-do list!
I just found your blog today! I just love your projects! I'm your newest follower!
Come on by sometime! I have a weekly link party called Terrific Under Ten Tuesday! It's for projects made $10 or less! I would love to have you!

Nikki Monet said...

Ive always loved brightly colored doors. This really make your house pop. Great color choice! New follower here. Would love it if you would stop by and share this at my link party going on right now :) http://everything-underthemoon.blogspot.com/2011/11/bedazzle-me-monday-10.html

Have a great week!!

Soffit Installation said...

yellow is happy color!

Unknown said...

Love it! Have my own yellow door...it makes me smile. :-)