Friday, October 14, 2011

Headboards: To Tuft or to Trim with Nailheads?


I’m having a bit of a headboard dilemma. To tuft or to nailhead, that is the question? My original plan was to make a tufted headboard for our master bedroom. Currently, we have a big, dark wooden headboard that looks massive in our tiny bedroom. I'm looking to soften up the room a bit with some fabric. I've ready many tutorials on tufting headboards and thought I was all ready to go!

Then, I started seeing more and more headboards trimmed in nailheads. I like this look too! The tufted headboard will require more time, work, and supplies. I will need to buy foam, batting, embroidery needles and thread, button covers, and who knows what else. For a headboard trimmed in nailheads, I can eliminate the foam (it’s expensive!), embroidery needles and thread, and button covers. I will need to buy the nailheads, but I’m thinking they will still be cheaper than all those other supplies. I would use thicker batting with the nailheads, so I don't have to buy foam too. I already have my fabric, and I’m leaving that choice as a surprise! It was super cheap, and I’m so excited about using it (it’s a solid color)!

My dilemma is that I don’t want to do the nailhead headboard just because it is cheaper. I want to be happy with my headboard for years to come! Please help me decide which look to go for, please! We have a king size bed, so this will be a big project!

I like the shape of this headboard. It’s neither tufted nor trimmed in nailheads, but the shape is awesome, but it might be a little ambitious for me.
Rooms With Wood Trimmed Walls

This one is nice and simple. I like the nailheads only trimming the side of the headboard.
Pinned Image

Love the shape and nailheads on this one! I know it’s not a headboard, but you get the idea.
Pinned Image

Oh dear, this is gorgeous!
Pinned Image

Tufted headboard with tutorial by Centsational Girl.
Pinned Image

More nailheads. This is the simple shape I think I’m going for…
Pinned Image

More tufting in solid  colors.
Tufted Headboard 3

Had to include the puppy dog in this one!
Tufted Headboard 2

I like the height of this one.
Pinned Image

Please let me know your thoughts in a comment! I would love some help deciding on tufted vs. nailhead, please!

Have a fabulous, fall weekend!

10 comments:

The Roper's said...

So which goes better with the look of your room? Because they are all gorgeous! I love reading your blog and Eric probably wishes that I would stop-getting me into too many projects :)

Ashley said...

Hmm....I think I personally prefer the nail heads! And I definitely think it would be cheaper. But take that with a grain of salt - I've never done either!

Brenda said...

I'm with The Roper...the style of your room already should answer your question. The tufting looks more formal than the nail head,IMO.

Stacey said...

I like the nailhead headboards much better!

Karel Hamilton said...

I love the look of the nailheads. It is uncomplicated, uncluttered and has simplistic clean lines. Very appealing and doesn't distract from the fabrics texture or color. That'd be my choice :)

Evie said...

I found you via Natasha's Pinning & Singing...and just had to comment! I love the look of both, personally! Hubby and I just recently finished a king sized tufted headboard and wow...I think it was a lot like labour and giving birth...hours and hours and hours and hours of sweat and work - and then finally a great result! Just warning ya! Granted, we built a frame for ours so that should the color and decorating theme ever change (which I know it will!), we can pop the tufted part out and change the fabric. So ours was more challenging than just a fabric covered board. But - like I said - overall it was WAY more work than I EVER anticipated it would be. From what I've learned so far, I'm thinking that nailhead trim might be a faster, easier, and less expensive way to go.
I'll be posting about our headboard in the next couple weeks...feel free to drop by and check it out! :)
Good luck!
evie @ brown paper packages

MJ @ 517 Creations said...

Have you decided what you're going to do?? I love the nailhead look...but probably because that's what I see floating around blogland right now. You've got great taste...you'll make it work! :)

Natasha in Oz said...

Thanks so very much for joining in with my weekly Pinning and Singing Pinterest Party. I am so thrilled that you joined in.

This week’s Linky party is on now so please come and check out my favourite pins for the week if you have 5 minutes to spare!

Best wishes and happy pinning!
Natasha @ 5 Minutes Just for Me

td said...

Hi,
I just found your site via Beneathmyheart. Great job on the blinds! I too have made many shades out of mini-blinds and used the thick iron-on pellon or the thin iron-on fleece as a lining and black-out. It works super. Just be sure to gently hand wash the stiff pellon in a tub to release some of the sizing.

Also, before you decide to ditch your lovely headboard, check out the following post on how to have the best of both worlds, with a lot less work, too! I'm currently working on a similar project. P.S. Everything this girl does is fabulous!
Can't wait to see your final result. Good luck.
Teresa

http://www.gusandlula.com/2009/11/easy-peasy-custom-bed.html

Chris said...

Hi Beth, by now you have probably decided which way you are going with the headboard. In case you are still interested, I prefer the tufted type, looks more elegant, but it really does depend on the rest of your bedroom. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris