Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Family Room Redo

I am so excited to share my Family Room Redo with you! Our family room has been a work in progress for a long time (almost five years!). I painted the walls Cape Red when we moved in five years ago because I was in my red, green, brown, gold phase. I got over that a couple of years ago, but didn’t really have time to change anything in the room until recently. Several months ago, we painted the room a soft yellow to brighten things up and moved our HUGE brown couch, chair and ottoman to the “man room” downstairs. I shopped my parents’ basement for a “new” couch and chair that better fit the scale of our room. I felt like I was in a new house! Of course, that started the slippery slope of me wanting to change EVERYTHING!
Before: This is how the room looked back in the spring after the couch and chair switcheroo. I can’t find older pics of the rom for some reason. We had our house for sale, so everything was neat and tidy and minimal. The flat screen TV was hung on the wall on the right with a green cabinet underneath. It was positioned between two windows, which was where I thought it needed to go because of the couch position.
Before:

After:

Here’s the TV wall now! I moved the buffet from the kitchen into the den to serve as a media cabinet. I plan on making some sort of gallery wall around the TV, so I’ll have to do another update! The desk/hutch that was in the right corner of the room was moved to the wall between the windows where the TV used to reside. The desk/hutch is one of my favorite pieces of furniture and was given to me by my Nanny and Granddaddy when I was young. It’s got history to it, and I’ll never part with it! It’s also something I’ll never paint.
I found a rattan storage chest at TJ Maxx for $30 to corral all of E’s toys in the den. It doesn’t look like a toy chest and adds some texture to the room.
The couch wall has changed quite a bit. I made the wood shim sunburst mirror over the summer and slipcovered the couch with one of my winnings from a blog contest. The couch was white, and now it has a cream, twill slipcover on it. I spray painted the round side table yellow and gave the lamp a makeover. Hopefully the blue recliner will be replaced in the near future!

Before: Here’s the TV wall looking in the direction of the front door back in the spring. I really like the green media cabinet, but it just wasn’t substantial enough for the den. It’s now in the guest bedroom and looks so much better.

After: I moved the blue, club chair over by the window so it faces the TV. It sits in front of another of my favorite pieces, our Grandfather clock. Again, it was given to me by my grandparents, this time as our wedding gift. I hope to pass it down to E one day. The lamp by the chair received a makeover too. I think this seating arrangement lends itself more to conversation since the chairs and couch are closer together.

Before: The couch wall. This arrangement stayed the same, but I changed up the accessories.

After: You have a better view of the couch, mirror, and display shelf in this picture. The slipcover has been so useful. I just pull it off and throw it in the wash. So easy. And I love it when E looks up at the mirror and says “Mommy make it!”.

I use the shelf to display family photos. I think the pictures people have in their home tell a lot about them. Pictures make a house a home, and I like being reminded of my amazing family. The door beside the shelf leads into the kitchen. It will be getting a major makeover here very soon!

Here’s a pic of the table beside the front door. This table used to be a darker wood. I spray painted it Rustoleum Heirloom White over the summer and distressed it. It lightened up this wall so much! Of course, I have more family pics displayed here too. I’m not attached to this mirror and am thinking of how I can change it up a bit.

I hope you’ve enjoyed my family room tour. I have enjoyed making it over, and it feels so much more like home to us now! Ben and I both will be sitting in here watching TV and just say “I love this room now”! It’s amazing how just rearranging furniture and changing out some accessories can make such a difference in a room?
Are you a rearranger like I am? Happy Wednesday!

Beth



Linking up to these fabulous parties!
Tatertots & Jello, Between Naps on the Porch, My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia, Serenity Now, Mommy By Day Crafter By Night, The 36th Avenue, The DIY Showoff, Today’s Creative Blog, At the Picket Fence, Home Stories A to Z, Gingerbread, Remodelaholic, Thrifty Décor Chick, The CSI Project

2 comments:

At The Picket Fence said...

Everything looks so fresh and bright! That mirror is fantastic and all of your changes make a big impact...beautiful. :-) Thanks so much for sharing it with us at Inspiration Friday this week!
Vaness

MJ @ 517 Creations said...

You should TOTALLY surround your TV with a gallery of frames...it would look fabulous!!

Love the new room arrangement, by the way. Looks great! :)