Monday, January 30, 2012

Burp Cloth Tutorial: How to Make a Pretty Baby Gift

Guess who didn’t have the Internet at home last week? ME! While it was highly frustrating because I teach two online classes, it was kind of nice knowing that I couldn’t get on the computer. I’ve got a log of blog reading to do!


image

I’ve got an easy tutorial for everyone today. If you know how to sew a straight stitch, then you can make pretty burp cloths to give as gifts. Burp cloths are my go-to gifts for new moms because I firmly believe you can’t have too many! Ever since the day Elliotte went through every single burp cloth we owned plus some towels, I’ve given them as gifts. I used to order them through Etsy until I learned to sew and realized how easy they were to make.


All you need is a pack of cloth diapers and some coordinating fabric and thread. I like to use fat quarters from JoAnn because I can make three burp cloths with each one. These burp cloths are obviously for a precious baby girl.
image

Start by unfolding one of the burp cloths and measure the length and width of the center strip. Then, using a cereal box or something similar, cut out a strip equal to the center strip of the burp cloth. This will make things so much easier!
image

Using the cut-out as your guide, cut your fabric a little bigger than the strip. A rotary cutter makes things go super fast! I usually go ahead and cut all my fabric at the same time.
image

Now move to your ironing board, and iron your fabric around the cut-out. I also iron the burp cloths at this point too.
image

For the ends, I fold them over just like I’m wrapping the ends of a present.
image

Once the fabric is ironed all around, pull the cut-out from inside the fabric. Now you’re almost ready to sew!
image

Place the ironed fabric right side up on the burp cloth and pin it down in a few places.
Note to self: get a new ironing board cover! Gross!
image

Now it’s time to whip out your sewing machine! All you have to do is sew a straight stitch around all four sides of the fabric. Make sure you back stitch at the beginning and once you get all the way around the fabric. It’s “sew” easy! Yep, I typed that.
image

Once you’ve done all this three times, you’ve got a super cute and sweet homemade gift for a new mom and baby! If you want to get fancy schmancy, use a zig zag stitch or add some ric rack around the edges. I used a zig zag stitch on the bottom burp cloth below, and it adds a little extra touch.
image

Wrap the burp cloths up with a pretty ribbon and you’re all done! I love picking out fabric for these gifts and making them look pretty. I like to make them pretty for boys too.
image

Now you know how to make an easy baby gift that a new mom (and dad too) will use all the time! What’s your go-to baby gift? Give me some more ideas!




Photobucket

4 comments:

MJ @ 517 Creations said...

What an easy way to make burp cloths CUTE! Pinning this right now! :)

MDF Boards said...

Hello Mr. Blogger,

The way you describing how to make a gift for a baby is very easy and understandable. Thank you for sharing your knowledge to your readers.

Thank you...

doglover said...

Do you cut the original diaper burp cloth? It does not state in the tutorial. From what I can see you pin the material to the center of the cloth and sew it to center. So the end result will have have white on the ends and a cute print in the center?

Unknown said...

Many issues mention about cockfight in philipine, we are from ayam bangkok lokal want to explain that. You can read our article. Thanks.